Thursday, December 5, 2013

Bringing excitement and fun into your life by learning new things!


I would like to share how alive learning can make a person feel. When I learn something new, not only is it exciting for me, but it also builds up my self-confidence . It shows me I am still teachable and able to learn new things if I am truly interested. That is the clincher; it has to be something I have an interest in or passion for. I didn't know how much I enjoy the computer and learning programs. It is frustrating for sure when I cannot figure it out, and the insecure Cathie wants to shut down and give up, "its too difficult", but the stronger side, the advernturous side says, "You go girl, you are going to do this if it kills you." Of course there is a chance I could learn all these things only to get dementia and have to relearn it! Seriously, it is nice to know you can continue to pick up new hobbies and interests even as you grow into your Senior Years. It takes more energy and concentration, lets face it, as we age we don't retain as much information as quickly as when we were younger, nor do we learn as quickly. But it does keep our minds sharp and life worth getting up for each day.

 So tonight I am excited to share that I now have three top priorities for the next month. I found a book of Cross-Stitch Christmas Ornaments to make.  I love to Cross-Stitch so why not use it for something other than putting into a drawer somewhere. Why do I do that anyway? Spend hours and hours on a beautiful cross-stitch piece only for it to end up in a forgotten place. Doesn't say much about how good or bad I think it is. So now I have a piece I made for my husband (who did nothing with it), and I am going to take it to a craft store and they are going to frame it. My first step to saying what I do is important! The first week of the new year I am going to get it framed!! I will even mark it on my calendar.

OK, back to my priorities. Priority #1. I am going to make my co-workers and friends Christmas ornaments. That is about 15. They are little and if I do one each night I should be able to accomplish this goal. Of course it is almost 8:30pm and I have done nothing on this project. However! That leads me to priority #2. Study my new Windows 8.1 computer and how to get around LinkedIn. An acquaintance who teaches a course on Power Point sent me her Power Point demonstration to help me learn it! Tonight I spent a little over an hour reading and practicing moving around my new PC and am loving it. It is overwhelming but once I figure something out I get so excited. My self-confidence grows and I feel really good about Cathie.


Oh Priority #3 was to get back on this blog and stick to it. I ran away for a short time, but I'm back. No more quitting. I was starting to read other blogs and comparing mine and of course I couldn't compare with such good writers so I froze. But I thawed and will continue to read and learn. On the side I am practicing writing short stories for kids.  My Aunt on my husbands side has encouraged me for years now to write. She just this month suggested I write one short story a month. I am thinking about my grand-niece and nephew and how much fun it would be for them to read a story about some adventure they had on their sailboat or some other made up adventure. I am finding that when I discipline myself and make myself sit down and write, I actually love making up stories for kids!

What I am learning with the blogging and stories is that writing takes work. It takes discipline and perseverance. If it does anything for me, it will help me grow in these areas that, to be honest, I am weak in. I am NOT a disciplined woman, nor have I been known to persevere. I envy others that just seem to know what they want and go for it, allowing nothing to get in their way. They ooze with self-confidence and determination. I am going for those two qualities, determination and perseverance. Time to stop procrastinating and acting on impulse and start planning and sticking to the plans.

I can work on ornaments during my half hour lunch since it is too cold this week to go to my car. I can work on writing in the morning before work and after work the computer program learning. Who needs to relax? Who has time? I have spent way too much of my years "relaxing". for me it has become just another term for lazy. From now on, new rules. One night a week to catch up on favorite shows. The rest of the week is for studying, crafts and maybe a game with my husband. My husband is on board with it. "There's nothing to watch anymore" he says. I agree.

Well, I see I need to continue working on staying on the main topic. What was it anyway? Oh yes, my new priorities. Christmas ornaments and learning. But now it is time for hot chocolate and a good book. I am at the moment reading "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker" for next month Book Club. Very interesting. I also started reading "The Book Thief", looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment