Wednesday, November 11, 2015

We are destroying what brings beauty and life to our World

When you read the title, I am sure many of you thought, "she is going to talk about the Bible." Well, you are wrong. I am actually talking about our language. Our words we use around the world.   I just out of the blue decided to take a walk at lunch instead of getting on Facebook or reading the latest on The Duggers. Writing that out-loud shows me just how wasteful my thirty minutes has been for some time.

I happened to look up at the sky, and today the blue was so striking. I hadn't seen it look that blue in a very long time. Perhaps because I haven't looked up lately? I wondered at that moment, "where did the word blue come from? Who decided which color was which? And who decides what a word means anyway? This probably sounds pretty silly when you just read it real quick. But really, think about it. Where did these definitions come from and how was it determined that, this color would be called blue, and the sky will be blue; this color will be green, and the grass and leaves will be green, not blue or pink, but green; at least until fall; then they will be red, orange and yellow. Who decided a tree bark would be brown? I was just taken by surprise at how strong these questions came to me. Where did it all start? And by who or what? Every country has its own language and yet are interpreted in a way that a tree is a tree no matter where, it is just called by a different name in a different language or meaning to describe the same thing.

Another thought that came to me was that words take on a new meaning as generations come and go. I will use offensive words or meanings in this paragraph, but please remember it is only to explain what I mean, and not to offend anyone at all. So, the word "gay" generations ago meant happy, joyful, glad. For our generation it is a word to describe two people of the same sex as partners. Another word is Find words where their meanings have changed in each generation.

Colors are in nature and are natural. They are "born" purple, red, orange, pink, yellow etc. They are beautiful on their own.  Not one of these natural colors does man have to "improve" upon. The Universe created life form perfectly and with colors that needed no enhancement. At least until we decided it wasn't colorful enough. Everything in nature, every living thing from plants to animals to earth worms and yes bats, to human beings were all made in such a way that it all kept the ecosystem level. Now we have managed to tear it all apart to make room for population growth. And to fill the need for more humans, we are destroying the very things we need to exist. And we are destroying and ridding our planet of the beauty of color as well as the beauty we get when we see an animal in its natural habitat. Or even when we see one where you might not expect. All I know is, when I see the mother deer and her babies each year, I am filled with a joy and love I cannot explain. And it concerns me that we are taking away these animals food source. We are destroying our beautiful land for shopping malls, parking lots, stores. And years later, we no longer use such businesses and they stand empty for a few more years. Such waste to good land.

Humans have a need for loud noise, be it radio, or t.v. anything to distract us from hearing our own thoughts. What are people afraid to think about? Why is it so difficult to be still and quiet. To enjoy the sounds of nature. We have replaced the sound of birds, crickets, children laughing with loud music,and other un-natural sounds. Nature is no longer seen as part of God's creation, (use your own concept of God when I use the term). It is no longer something wonderful to see. It is just something in the way of progress. When I see a mountain side being ripped apart with bulldozers to make room for more housing, I want to scream. It is as if it were taking a part of me. I can't explain it. But it tears me up inside. My thoughts automatically go to the animals that have now lost their home or food source. We are replacing natures way of keeping the ecosystem doing its job.  Did you know it is animal dung that fertilized the ground for grass to grow? Without grass, there is no food source for the animals. We have pesticides to kill insects, when nature created bats to do that job. Again, we are killing off a species with harmful chemicals, instead of allowing nature to do its job harmlessly. But, it is more important for corporations to keep their money to buy their "toys", fancy homes and other material wealth. It doesn't matter to them that they are destroying the very things we need to keep our species alive for many years to come. We have become the "God" of the earth. We build and invent ways and objects to do the job nature has been doing since the beginning; and in a way that is not harmful to man or other species.

All these thoughts came from one simple question of where did the "word" or language begin and who determined what a tree was, the sky, earth. Who called these things by the name we accepted? Was it through generations as language  began to form? Look how much language has changed over the centuries. How words not used years ago suddenly appear from the next generation. Shit, Fuck, Ass hole; words created by a newer generation and given a negative meaning, making them "bad words". Who determined they were bad? Again, who or how did these words form?  Why not freak-en? Or oh shoot? Why were these not "bad" words? They were used to express negative feelings or opinions as the words earlier were. Again, who determines whether a word is good or a word is bad? It was just something I began to ponder on as I continued my walk and observed what little nature was left in this area. I was grateful I had a park to walk around that still had the big trees and I could hear the birds enjoying them. I could see people enjoying their shade from the big trees.

The more I thought about nature and its perfection the more I though about who God may be. How powerful to be able to create such magnificence. How loving in order to create such tender animals like birds, rabbits, butterflies etc. How creative and gentle this God must be to add beauty in the flowers and landscapes. And how loving to create each part of the ecosystem in such a way that all life form from plants to humans needs were met, and how all of life depends on this ecosystem to survive life. And now we humans, supposedly believed by some as the important ones, who made in the image of God himself or itself, are destroying the very perfection their God created without a thought to how they are destroying the beauty and food sources for natures animals. All in the name of progress.

Who needs God anyway. Aren't we intelligent enough without his aid? Look at what we have been able to accomplish? We have come so far that we don't even need him or see him. As a matter of fact we have come so far that we don't even believe in God, we don't need to; we have shown what is beyond the sky; an open universe filled with other planets. And now we can send automation out into the universe and see for ourselves there is no heaven, just open space, a universe. But who or what created this universe? How did it come to be that each planet is exactly where it needs to be to keep the earth from rotating out of control. How did gravity happen in such a way that it is able to keep the planets where they need to be? To keep us from floating off into outer space. The more questions I ask myself the more I am convinced I may be wrong about this God thing. God has many different names, depending on where you are living, what your culture is, and how you are taught to believe. Each God has different rules to obey. And each God is defended by war and judgement of others who believe differently. But what each God has in common is that he or it, is the one who created life forms perfectly. And again, how did that come to be? Who decided and how did they decide who God was? If there is one God, and only one God, why so many different meanings of who he/she is? If God is all powerful, all knowing , why are we trying to change what He designed? Why do we believe we can make it better? Look at all the damage and harm to the earth and ourselves with our man made creations, inventions.  Again, I found myself obsessed in where did it all begin? When did man begin to speak and make a word's meaning.

All I know is, in a short walk on a gorgeous fall day, I saw and felt the presence of a God of the Universe, of creation, for the first time in a very long time. I allowed doubts and disbelief over shadow the beauty of God and his creation. I allowed worldly turmoil and chaos over shadow faith and trust, belief. I tried to prove and create God, instead of just looking past all the human made objects that have over shadowed nature take away the last of any faith I once had. I have allowed questions and lack of faith replace childlike faith. Just believing from shear innocence. I tried to accept church doctrine and teachings and traditions, but all that did was turn my eyes from the creation around me, and slowly from the Creator of this wonderful, natural perfect world. I allowed people's criticism become my criticism. Does all this mean I suddenly believe the bible is the only true word of God? The only word of God? Absolutely not. I believe it was interpreted by human beings and used to control people once upon a time. It is time to step away from church doctrine and get back to where God resides; in his creation. Instead, we are slowly destroying our wonderful earth and all that depends on it to continue life forms.

God, again your belief of who or what God is to you,  created life, all life forms. It is time for us get back to that love and respect for his creation. But perhaps I am naive in believing we can undo the damage we have done to what was made perfect. Oh my goodness; am I beginning to believe once again in God? I never stopped. I have always believed in a God of creation. Just not in the teachings of God. Once again, who had the rights to decide what the scrolls found really meant? It comes down to my original question; how did words and their meanings come to be?

By the end of my short walk I remembered the feeling of being a part of the universe, God I once had and his creation. I felt his presence within me and found myself smiling and feeling I was not alone. I am a part of the God and all his creation. We are all a part of him; all living things are a part of the spirit that brings life. Remembering all thee things brought me back to the sense of God's presence in my life and all who come into my life. I don't have to like all he created; but I do need to respect it because we are all connected to the one spiritual, powerful being that brought life upon this earth.

Well, I better stop before I get into a lecture. But I hope this short piece will open the minds of others. I hope it will awaken a new strong desire to protect and nurture all life form once again. To stop all the meaningless destruction we are bringing to the very earth and its inhabitants that bring true life and inner peace to ourselves. I know I will be trying harder to do my part, even if it appears to be little and perhaps useless in the big scheme of things. But, it will also bring me closer to the Creator; I will once again feel a part of him and that means important to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment