Thursday, April 14, 2011

Faith like a Mustard Seed

This morning I picked up something I hadn't worn in a long time. It is a small mustard seed encased in a glass ball. As I held it and pondered a moment an inspiration to write came to me. So here I am writing about a small mustard seed once again worn around my neck.

Jesus says if we have faith like a mustard seed we can move mountains. This is true! People of all faiths gain courage and encouragement through difficult times because of their faith. The belief in who God is to them gives the inspiration to live holy, honest lives and to continue on when there feels like no hope. I know many people with different beliefs in God. Some call him their "Higher Power", others Buddha, some Jesus; and then there are some who simply call God the Spirit of the Universe. And in fact if you really think about it he is the spirit who created the universe is he not?

So then I got to wondering. Could there be a difference between faith and salvation? I think maybe so.

Faith gets me through the difficult times. Faith teaches me to live in love for others, animals and the earth God created. Faith teaches me through the teachings of Christ to live to serve him out of respect and awe. Salvation teaches fear in some respects. Yes, if you believe you are saved you have a sense of security; but is that the same as inner peace? Salvation also teaches me that I must do certain things to be saved. Baptism; Speaking in Tonques depending on what church you belong to. If you do not do these two things you are not saved according to some religions.

What I have learned in my Christian walk so far is that there are many interpretations of what each of these two words means. Just as there are many interpretations of who God is. This realization is leaning me more towards the belief that God lives within me and speaks truth to me as He sees fit, not the people I love and hang with. I have to look quietly within and listen to his voice. "Seek and you will find." "Knock and the door will be opened." So if I sincerely seek and knock for his truth then I have to believe he will answer. But when he answers differently than what I have been taught by those who truly love me and care about my "salvation" then begins the judgement. fear and yes, even anger. Out of love those who believe in baptism for salvation worry about my eternity. I admire their strong convictions; but then again, is conviction serenity? Does it bring about a quiet spirit or a strong opinion? I don't know.

When I listen to the voice inside; I hear God's love. I feel his strength and I am encouraged to go on no matter what. When my faith is as small as a mustard seed I nee to refuel with reading scriptures or other inspired words, when God brings friends who care and love me into my life; my faith begins to blossom and grow. I need to always be in the inspired words, in prayer and meditation and with fellow believers in order to nourish and water the seed within me.Then and only then do I have something to offer others. Love, compassion and assistance. It is by doing that my faith is seen. Not by words. It is by reaching out where my faith can be strengthened.  I must always be relying on my God to do all these things. Without reliance on God I begin to rely on me and my studying for truth and I lose all concepts of reality where faith is concerned. An then once again He picks me up and tells me; "why do you keep going away from what works?"

So I put my mustard seed around my neck this morning to remind me where my faith comes from. To remind me I do not need the knowledge of the great Rabi's or Buddha's or Ministers to be guided and strengthened; nor to be filled with Holy Spirit of God. I only need the faith of a small mustard seed, like a small child, to be lead by the Holy Spirit who will then grow me to larger faith; a little at a time. Again I must remember. No matter where I am in my faith journey I am growing. And as I am growing I can have faith that God has my back:)

No comments:

Post a Comment