Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Message of service from a skunk"

 Listening to that voice within is a difficult thing to do at times. Especially when it is telling me to do something for someone or do something I don't want to do.

Several years ago I had an experience that showed me God's love. How if I listen to that voice within when it tells me call someone or do something I don't want to do; God will bless me with the joy only His spirit can give.

I was taking my usual walk before church on a bike path. As I got closer to where I usually start back home  this strong thought kept telling me to go a little further. I did not want to however, it would make me late for church. But the voice got stronger and I could not fight it.  I knew it was the Holy Spirit urging me on. When finally heading back I spotted the skunk. He was running in circles! I was afraid to walk past him, but I also knew it was a longer walk back if I turned around. So I waited for him to go back towards the trees away from the bike path began to run past him. As I looked down at this beautiful creature I noticed he had a yogurt cup stuck on his face! He was running in circles out of panic. There was no hesitation, the skunk needed rescuing and needed it now. I could not leave him like that. Stooping down slowly I began to speak softly, just words of kindness. He didn't know what the words meant but he knew they were gentle sounds. His circles began to get smaller and closer to me. I was frightened, but more then ever determined to free this skunk from his dilemma. Words were coming out like, "OK God, you got me into this, and I am trusting you to help me not get sprayed." You see, I truly believe this is why that voice kept telling me to walk further that morning. The skunk ran a few more circles and finally to my dismay stopped right in front of me! What could I do? I gently grabbed the cup that was suctioned tightly onto the poor little guys nose and pulled. It wouldn't bunge! I wondered how I was going to get him home with me so I could cut it off. Imagine this little lady walking up the sidewalk holding a skunk in her hand with a cup on his nose! What a good cartoon character. That darn piece of trash was stuck so tight I don't think the little guy could breath. I prayed again for courage as I put one hand on his back and the other on the cup, certain this time he would become startled by my touch and spray me.  He sat up and you would not believe it; he put those long black nails inside the rim of the yogurt cup and pushed as I pulled and the darn thing popped off. It was as if he knew just what to do if I only did my part. That is all God asks of me. To step out in life and do my part. He will give me what I need to get the job done.I don't know why the skunk trusted me; perhaps lack of oxygen; but that is not the important part. What is needed is trust. Others need to know with confidence that I am a spiritual being who can be trusted. Who will be there to lend a hand when needed inspite of how I feel or what I think.

Just as the skunk pushed and the cup flew off I jumped back, once again he surprised me when he merely walked away as if nothing had happened. Perhaps he was in shock. All I know is, he didn't run away so I can be certian he was not afraid of me. He did not spray me, so he was not threatened by me. His instincts told him by my actions that I was not going to harm him.

He just walked away. Not even a thank you. I guess not getting sprayed was his thank you. Now for the message God was giving me.

God can and will use anything to give me messages on what I need at that time. This time it was a lesson on listening and acting on that voice we get within to go that extra mile. Perhaps calling someone who you can't get out of your mind, but you have other things to do, there is no time to spend talking to someone who might just want to gab. But the persistant voice gets louder. You cannot ignor it any longer so you make the call.  You find out she had just received the news she has cancer. She needed someone to talk to. You have to be somewhere in 15 minutes! But again that voice of the Holy Spirit pushes you to cancel that appt. and go to your friends home. You see, God needed me to save one of his creatures. He knew I would be the one who risked being sprayed by a skunk. I didn't want to walk further, I wanted to go home. However, instead of coming back from the walk tired and ok,  I walked home feeling fantastic and excited. How many people can say they touched a skunk and helped pulled a yogurt cup off his face. Actually I was surprised anyone believed me.

When that spirit within speaks to me I listen. I never know who I might help. Who I may lift out of despair. Or simply get them out of a bind. God uses people to help others; we just don't always listen. Today I choose to see good in people. To seek ways to make my job easier like putting in my MP3 player and listeninig to my classical music. And when I am calm I feel God's spirit wrapped around and through me. It effects others in the office as well.

I wonder, had I not listened that morning, what would have become of the skunk? When I don't listen how will I ever experience God's power? His love? I will work on seeing the good in all people; I will practice loving people who are brought intomy life that frustrate me. After all they could be a skunk in need of guidance and help. Or an angel in human form. I will let you know how this works at the end of the week.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing experience! I need to start listening more to my inner soul!

    ReplyDelete